Aquatic therapy is a specialized form of physical or occupational therapy. For years, therapists have realized positive results when applying this water modality to a variety of patients. Water has been, and still remains, the best environment to achieve full function regardless of the injury. Water improves motion and flexibility. The warmth of the water (94°F) and its massaging effects allow muscles to relax while helping to reduce pain. The natural buoyancy reduces gravitational pull and lessens compressive forces, hence making exercises much easier to perform than on land. Best of all, aquatic therapy can be used even if a patient does not know how to swim.
Benefits of Aquatic Therapy
- Warm water facilitates muscle relaxation and increases peripheral circulation.
- Water provides resistance for strength training.
- Warm water stimulates body awareness, balance, and trunk stability.
- The reduction of gravitational forces in the pool allows the patient to stand and begin gait training and strengthening exercises without causing further damage to healing structures.
- Warm water and buoyancy results in decreased pain sensitivity.
- Improvement of patient morale and confidence can be established by providing a positive medium in which to function
Call our Conroe office to schedule your Aquatic Therapy today! 936-756-2192